- Summary: I read the article titled, Learning to Teach with Technology. This article talked about the importance of technology in the teaching of science. The article talked about how explaining difficult science concepts is made easier when experiments can be video taped. This way the video can be broken up into smaller parts and each concept can be explained individually. By integrating technology into the curriculum it makes it easier for students to remember and retain information. This integration also makes it easier for them, because they become more familiar with how technology is used. The use of the geometric sketch pad is a great way to do just this. This pad uses computer software to help students build and examine models, figures, shapes, and graphs. Another technology is a hand held device that can measure water quality. From this students can download the data onto a computer spread sheet. This way students can visualize the data and interpret what it all means. Another way that technology is being integrated is seen at the University of Virginia Curry School of Education. This school uses a program called starry nights to allow students to look at different star configurations. They are able to look at the star configurations back to up to 1,000 years ago. This would not be possible without technology. The article goes on to talk about that it is difficult to find the funding to educate teachers about this new technology.
- Reflection: I thought it was very interesting seeing all the different ways technology can be integrated into science. I never knew there were so many ways. I also think it is sad that so many schools lack the funding to educate their teachers better on technology integration. This article makes me appreciate our class, Technology in Education, even more.
- Citation: Vaishali, Honawar. Learning to Teach With Technology. Education Week, 02774232, 3/27/2008, Vol. 27, Issue 30.
- NETS For Teachers:As a teacher I would like to work on Facilitating and inspiring student learning and creativity.
- Importance: This is important to me because it helps teachers to integrate technology into their teaching and do so creatively. We as teachers want to be up to date on all the methods of teaching, so this would greatly help us. Our world is becoming more and more dependant on technology and it is our job as teachers to help our students become familiar with current technologies. For example in our class we are using a class blog to communicate with others. This is helpful. I never knew how to use a blog site before this. Another way we as teachers can integrate technology is by using the smart board or online games. Online learning games help students be able to use technology, have fun, and learn the required material.
- plan of action: As a teacher I will work on being creative in how I integrate technology into my lesson plans. I will look at each subject or concept I have to teach and ask the question how could I integrate technology into this discussion or lesson? I plan to implement this into my lesson plans for my different subject classes.
- NETS For Students: Communication and Innovation
- Importance: This will help students learn how to use digital media to communicate to other class members or the teacher. In some circumstances this skill would allow them to also communicate with children across the cultures. This would help the students themselves learn as well as contribute to the learning of others. Students would learn how to use different technologies and apply their knowledge.
- Incorporation: Two ways that we as teachers could incorporate this into our curriculum is through teacher tube, and by being a pen pall with another country. Teacher tube is kid safe and is a great way to let children view online videos that teach them about important concepts. Certain videos could be used depending on the subject being taught. Another way is by allowing the class to be pen palls with a class from another country. This would allow students to use email. This would also allow students to learn more about a different culture and their way of life. This pen pal idea could be used in History when the students are learning about a different country. For example when the students learn about Brazil they could possibly email a class from Brazil and see how their lives and customs are different from ours.
I'm glad you read this article because it reminds me that technology is not just about the computer and internet it is also about video cameras, photographs, and much more.I would think that it would be hard to intergrate technology into science but as prof. garrett says, "you are limited only by your own imagination" If they incorperated technology into my science class when i was in high school i probable would have remembered something out of that class.
ReplyDelete