I would apply this in the class room setting by challenging myself to allow my students to interact with the white boards. I should focus on instructing them. However, I should also allow for a time when they interact with the boards, show what they have learned. I could do this by allowing them to create their own power point presentations. Also I could do this by allowing them to participate in a game or something that allows them to apply the skills they have learned.
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
online learning experience
I listened to a pod cast on interactive white boards and their use in the school setting.I learned a lot from listening to this talk. They talked about teacher interaction verses student interaction with the white boards. They talked about how teachers primarily use the white board for instruction. Their focus was that students need to be challenged to interact more with the white boards. This way they are applying what they have learned. One teacher talked about how she allows her students to use the white board soft ware to create presentations and videos. Another teacher talked about how her drama students would use the white board to display different backgrounds for their plays. They would edit the images on the computer and then display them on the board. Another teacher talked about how she liked the record feature on the smart board. She liked how she could record everything that was written on the board. This was very helpful when showing a student how to do a math problem. They could write out the problem step by step and then if needed re play the steps until the student grasped how to do the problem. I found this all to be very interesting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
that's really cool that you found a podcast specifically about interactive boards. I liked how it talked about the student interaction instead of just the teachers interaction with the white board.things as simple as creating backgrounds are fun ways to intergrate the white board into students lives. some of the things you mentioned are things that we have already learned in class which makes me think that this class has been very useful to us as future teachers. I think you are not the only one who wants to challenge themselves to help the students interact with the white board. i just visited a classroom who had a white board and the students told me they never get a chance to use it and they really would like to. :(
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like that was a really good podcast to listen to. I am so excited to start student teaching and use the ActivBoard in the classroom. Like you said, we should focus on instruction, but I think allowing students to interact with the board and building that into a lesson is challenging on a whole new level. I think that is what we should strive for because it is what will help students learn the best and that is our goal as teachers.
ReplyDelete